Friday 7 November 2008

San Francisco..... without the flower!

First stop was San Fransisco and really only there for about one and a half days. It's a city with a victorian feel to it and initially it felt a lot like London. It seems to have very distinct districts and areas from financial, tourist and gay to run down ghetto crack whore and urine smelling tramps who are really polite!

Done the tourist thing and jumped on a Tram that took me too the harbour area where the veiws of hils, Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge are all on view. The weather was fantastic and really warm.

Caught a few buses around but mostly walked everywhere

The Hotel was ok and seemed to be an an area where a lot of stressed out business types must work as there where a lot of massage parlours in the vicinty! I was on holiday and therefore not stressed and didn't feel the need to go and get one.... so don't worry Mum!

As I walked round the harbour I saw a guy building a small wooden boat and thought I'd go take a look at what he was up to. Turns out it was a profitless youth project run by two guys called Seth and Ed for kids who have 'fallen through the cracks' and forms part of their school curriculum (not Seth and Eds curriculum, the kids....just to clarify!). I was introduced to the group and they told them that I was from England and had a lot of experience in boat building and was a bit of an expert. I then then hurridly took some pictures, made my excuses and ran like the wind before I was rumbled as a simple carpenter with no real expertise in any field in any area of my life!

Towards the end of the afternoon around 4:30 I though it would be cool to go find the beach on the northern part of the city ( I think its a bit of a peninsular.... probaly wrong tho'). the sunsets are meant to be amazing there and theres a massive park to stroll through.... as if I hadn't done enough walking! The bus went on forever and from what started out as lovely hot, clear weather turned into a thick cold mist with hardly any visibility, then... maybe because of the location of San Fran, the sun, rather than making a gentle, graceful exit from the sky like we get at home seemed to just bugger off and fall out of the sky as quickly as possible, faster than a Sunseeker employee on a friday at 4:15!

So instead of a majestic display of natural wonder an celestial awe to bring my visit to San Fransisco to an end I have had to settle for seeing a drunken stoned cross dressed freak singing and dancing in the tube at 7:00 in the morning And as I blearily looked at him and smiled (then immediatley regretting it 'cos I didnt want to give the wrong impression!) he...er she...?? pulled out an earphone and in the gayest American tones shouted " YAY.... Judas Priest!"

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

2 comments:

Ben said...

The singing cross dressed freak was just giving you an opportunity to taste all the flavours of your travels. Obviously it alluded him that you will be getting that chance once again under the golden lights of Bangkok where the real magic can happen.

Adios to Obamestan amigo. Enjoy the pleasures of Hawaii and beyond x

Pratt's Press said...

That's hilarious!
We were "Cracking" up at the homeless dudes in San Fran. They were singing mowtown when we saw them a second time and they were really good at it! they didnt have a cup for money either! they were just jammin!
Was well weird after being used to miserable ones in our city's, they genuinely looked happy with their little hobo mates! Fab!